- NonFarm payrolls in the US below expectations
- Twitter has blocked Trump permanently
- US House of Representatives to call on Mike Pence to remove Trump
NonFarm Payrolls in the US Below Expectations
Job creation came to a halt in December as restrictions brought on by increasing Covid-19 cases hammered virus-sensitive industries, particularly bars and restaurants, which lost nearly half a million positions.
US nonfarm payrolls declined by 140,000 in December, falling far short of the 50,000 job gain predicted in a Dow Jones survey of economists. It was the first monthly drop since April.
Economists who took part in the Bloomberg survey expected it to increase by 50 thousand in December. The increase in nonfarm payrolls in November, which was previously announced as 245 thousand, was revised to 336 thousand.
According to the data, unemployment in the country was 6.7 percent in December. Economists’ expectation was that this figure would be recorded as 6.8 percent.
“Today’s report showed the economy’s not just tapping on the brakes, but actually has been thrown into reverse,” said Daniel Zhao, senior economist at job search and review site Glassdoor. “It’s obvious how bad the winter wave of the pandemic has been, and the economic data is now starting to reflect that.”
Average hourly earnings in the country in December increased by 5.1 percent compared to the same period last year, exceeding the expectation of 4.5 percent. On a monthly basis, the increase in average hourly earnings was 0.8 percent.
ADP private employment data for December in the country had dropped for the first time since April.
According to ADP data, private employment decreased by 123 thousand in December due to restrictions. The median estimate of economists surveyed by Bloomberg was a 75,000 increase in employment. Employment in the service sector decreased by 105 thousand people. The employment loss in medium-sized companies was 13 thousand.
Twitter Has Blocked Trump Permanently
The social network Twitter has permanently blocked the account of US President Donald Trump @realDonaldTrump “due to the risk of further incitement to violence,” according to the official blog of the company. This decision was made after analyzing Trump’s latest tweets and the “context around them” – in particular, how they are perceived on Twitter and beyond.
After the riots in Washington on January 6, organized by supporters of the incumbent president, the social network temporarily blocked his account, demanding to remove messages that violate community rules. This meant Trump’s appeal to the nation with an appeal for a peaceful protest, as well as the statement that the storming of the Capitol was the result of unfair, according to Trump, elections.
On January 8, the president posted new tweets. In one of them, he said that the votes of the 75 million “great American patriots” who supported him would have “enormous significance” for a long time to come. “They will not be disrespected or treated unfairly in any way or form!” Trump wrote. In another post, he announced that he would not go to the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden on January 20.
The Twitter administration felt the messages could “encourage and inspire” Trump supporters to repeat the January 6 events. In addition, judging by these tweets, the outgoing head of state is not going to peacefully transfer power and supports violent actions of protesters near the Capitol, the social network said in a statement. Trump’s second tweet, according to the company’s management, can be regarded as encouraging possible violence at the inauguration ceremony.
“After evaluating the wording of these tweets, we determined that they violate the anti-violence glorification policy, and the user @realDonaldTrump should be immediately removed from service,” concluded Twitter. Almost 90 million users were subscribed to Trump’s personal account.
‘’We have made it clear that the accounts of leaders are not superior to our rules and that they cannot use Twitter to spread violence. We will continue to be transparent about our policies”, they added.
After this decision of Twitter, Trump responded through the ‘POTUS’ user account opened for US Presidents.
“I have long been saying that Twitter went too far in banning freedom of expression,” Trump said in his statement. Twitter staff collaborated with Democrats and radical leftists to silence my account. “Twitter won’t survive long without the legal protection that the government provides them.”
Stating that he predicted Twitter’s move, Trump said, “We will have a big announcement soon. We are also considering the possibility of establishing our own platform. You won’t be able to silence us.’’ However, these messages of Trump were also removed from Twitter shortly after.
US House of Representatives to Call on Mike Pence to Remove Trump
Today, on January 11, the US House of Representatives will begin considering a resolution calling for Vice President Mike Pence to eliminate incumbent US President Donald Trump. This was announced by the speaker of the House of Nancy Pelosi, reports UNN.
She explained that the resolution called on Pence “to convene and mobilize the cabinet to activate the 25th amendment to declare the president incapable of executing the duties of his office.”
On Sunday, Pelosi told 60 Minutes Trump was “a deranged, unhinged, dangerous president of the United States,” adding that he has done something “so serious that there should be prosecution against him”.
According to the American Constitution, the 25th Amendment provides for the automatic transfer of power to the vice president of the country in the event that he and most of the presidential administration declare the incapacitation of the current head of state.
According to Pelosi, if unanimous approval of the document is not achieved, the House of Representatives will vote on it on Tuesday, January 12, and then begin to consider the issue of impeachment. “We urge the vice president to respond within 24 hours,” said the speaker.
“In protecting our Constitution and our Democracy, we will act with urgency, because this President represents an imminent threat to both,” Pelosi said in the letter to Democrats on Sunday night laying out next steps.
Pelosi made clear in a letter to her members that if Pence refuses to act, Democrats will immediately move to force Trump from office for his role in inciting violent riots at the Capitol on Wednesday linked to at least five deaths, including a police officer. Pence so far has shown no willingness to meet Democrats’ demands, making an impeachment vote almost certain this week.
“We are calling on the Vice President to respond within 24 hours,” Pelosi wrote. “Next, we will proceed with bringing impeachment legislation to the Floor.”